ADMISSIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2022
CONSULTATION ON A PROPOSED NEW ADMISSIONS POLICY FOR LONDON ACADEMY OF EXCELLENCE TOTTENHAM FOR SEPTEMBER 2022
a. London Academy of Excellence Trust is the admissions authority for London Academy of Excellence Tottenham.
b. The academy’s current Admissions Policy was introduced for September 2017. The school has now become significantly more popular, receiving in excess of 1500 applications for study in September 2020 and these changes aim to prioritise local disadvantaged students, most likely to benefit from rigorous academic provision.
The summary of changes is:
- A change in the academic entry criteria to five GCSEs at grade 9-7
- A new oversubscription criterion (3) for applicants who are currently, or have previously been (within the last six years), eligible for Free School Meals;
- A new oversubscription criterion (4) for applicants with a parent or carer employed by LAE Tottenham for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission is made
- A new oversubscription criterion (5) for applicants with the highest levels of predicted attainment
- The addition of the statement “the Headteacher may make discretionary offers in order to maintain the diversity of the school community and maintain curriculum balance”.
These are the only proposed changes to the admission criteria; all other criteria, including oversubscription, will remain the same.
c. Our Admissions Policy can be viewed here
3. CONSULTING ON THIS PROPOSAL
- In line with Department for Education guidance “Making significant changes to an open academy and closure by mutual agreement - Departmental guidance for all types of academy trust - November 2019” we will be consulting with the following parties on this proposal:
- Each LA which maintains an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or statement of SEN in respect of a student attending the school;
- Parents of children who attend the school;
- Parents in the area;
- Primary, secondary, AP and special schools and sixth form and FE colleges in the area; Haringey local authority;
- Other affected admission authorities, including those in neighbouring LA areas
- Local Councillors and the Member of Parliament serving the Tottenham area.
In the light of current COVID-19 pandemic restrictions consultation responses are requested online or in writing to the academy. We will not be hosting public meetings as part of this consultation.
4. HOW TO RESPOND
- This consultation will run until Wednesday 17 February 2021 and will close at 5pm on that date
- You are invited to submit comments in writing about the proposal above via email to email@example.com or in writing to Sheila Pyke, London Academy of Excellence Tottenham, Lilywhite House, 780 High Road, London, N17 0BX.
- Following the consultation period the academy will consider any comments received and how to proceed. Admissions arrangements for September 2022 will be determined by 28 February 2021.